Adoption is important to us! What is even more important is finding the best fit for our adoptable animals. We strive ourselves with finding that “best fit” – this is more important to our humane society then processing numbers. Our adoption goal is to match you with a forever companion that will fit your family and lifestyle.
We accept multiple application on an animal to find that perfect home. Our process is thorough but simple.
The 3 Steps to adoption:
- Take a look at our adoptable dogs and cats or visit one at our facility
- Fill out an adoption application (Adopt a Dog / Adopt a Cat / Adopt Other Pets)
- Once your application is processed, an FDLHS representative will contact you about your application.
You can help to expedite the application process by:
- Missing information results in wait time – Please fill out the application completely
- If you rent – let your landlord know to expect our call
- Let your references know to expect our call
- Have your vet prepared to release records of your current pets
Applications are processed as they are received – we do not adopt out on a first come first serve basis. Each application timeline is different depending on the time-frame we are able to get a hold of references, landlords, veterinarians, etc. If you have questions during this process please contact us.
Prior to adoption animal receive
- Age Appropriate Vaccinations
Dogs also receive:
- Monthly preventative treatments (flea, tick, heartworm)
- Heartworm test
Cats also receive:
- FIV/FELV tests – on cats 3lbs +
- Revolution for fleas, ticks, mites
Costs of a Free Pet
What are the Real Costs of a “Free” Pet?
The real costs are high! Before you take that “free” cat or dog as your new Forever Friend, have a quick look at the staggering facts below. Unfortunately, free cats and dogs can run pet owners anywhere from $200 to almost $500 – and that’s for a healthy pet! If you adopt from the Fond du Lac Humane Society, the adoption fee is a big savings over the free cat or dog.
Average Cost of a Free Dog is About $405
When you first get a dog, you have to take him or her in for numerous tests and vaccinations. For a male dog, it can cost pet owners around $300 and for female dogs over $400! Be informed before you “buy” your next free dog. Better yet, play it safe and adopt one. We do all the tests, spaying and neutering, and vaccinations for you – all included in our adoption fee.
Average Cost of a Free Cat is About $302
A free cat won’t cost you as much as a free dog, in most cases, but cats still have to undergo almost all of the same tests, procedures, and vaccinations. The costs for a free male cat are over $200 on average and over $300 for female cats! Be safe and assured that your cat is properly taken care of and ready for his or her new home. Adopt one of ours today; the tests, vaccinations, and spay/neuter are included in the adoption fee. If interested in adopting a pet, please fill out the appropriate adoption application below and drop it off at the Fond du Lac Humane Society. It can take up to 5 days to process adoption applications, but in the meantime you can start to meet new pets.